Meet The Guardians: Jimmy Offers 7 Tips from Our Children’s Dentist for Brushing Your Child’s Teeth
The Guardians of the Smile are here to encourage the pediatric dentist patients of FUNtastic Dental to take care of their teeth before it’s too late! The leader of the group is Jimmy and he wants all children to know that we should brush our teeth twice a day and floss every day. Eating the right foods and visiting the children’s dentist regularly also helps keep smiles bright. But Jimmy also knows that it can sometimes be hard to convince kids to brush their teeth. So, he’s teamed up with our very own FUNtastic Dental team and they’ve got seven great tips to help you encourage your little ones to keep their teeth healthy!
Top 7 Tips for Brushing Teeth from our Children’s Dentist
- Jimmy’s favorite piece of dental gear is his turbo-powered toothbrush. However, brushing with turbo power isn’t always recommended, especially on tiny teeth. Using a lighter pressure is best since brushing too hard can irritate the gums. Ouch! Being gentle with your brush strokes can also ease the pain children may associate with teeth brushing, leaving them more inclined to participate in this necessary dental practice.
- It’s well known that children love stories and games so why not try incorporating some into your toothbrush time. Jimmy loves teaching children about the Plaque Monsters that are here to take over your teeth and the only thing that can stop them is his Turbo-Powered Toothbrush! If magical stories don’t excite your child into proper dental hygiene, try making a game of it. Challenge your child to see who can brush their teeth the best or who can make the most bubbles. Creating lots of bubbles actually means they’re brushing correctly.
- Sometimes, all the encouragement needs is just a little help from Mom or Dad. Brush your teeth while your child brushes his or her teeth. This also provides a simple way to see that your child is actually brushing (not just running the toothbrush under the faucet) and make sure they’re doing it correctly, with circular strokes near the gum line and not brushing vigorously back and forth.
- Personalize your child’s experience by letting them pick out their own toothbrush and toothpaste. It can be such an adventure for children to look at all the options they have and pick out a Turbo-Powered Toothbrush just like Jimmy’s but one that’s all their own. Just make sure the toothbrush is the right size for your child’s age. Smaller heads and larger handles are easier for toddlers, while five to eight year olds can begin taking on more of the responsibility with slightly larger heads and slimmer handles.
- To encourage your child’s curiosity about teeth let them brush your teeth or the “teeth” of a favorite stuffed animal. Perhaps your child would like to pick out a new stuffed animal and name it after Jimmy! Teaching them about teeth and proper brushing habits on others can help them take care of their own teeth better, and help them be less afraid when they visit the children’s dentist.
- Children (and adults too!), should brush their teeth for 2 minutes. A fun way to make sure your child is hitting this mark is to sing the alphabet or let them pick out a timer that you can set to remind them how long they need to brush for.
- Finally, one of the best ways to encourage your child to brush properly is by issuing lots of praise. Children thrive on pleasing their parents so letting them know they’ve done a good job will make them more eager to repeat correct brushing behaviors.
Contact Our Children’s Dentist to Schedule Your Appointment!
It’s time for Jimmy and the FUNtastic Dental team to get back to the children in our Long Beach dental office. If it’s time for your child’s regular check-up, or if you have any other concerns about your child’s teeth, please give us a call at 562–912–2007 or contact us online. We can’t wait to see your little one and help him or her develop healthy dental hygiene habits that will last a lifetime.